Here’s how to smoke chicken in your very own kitchen.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + 2 hours marination
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
18 pieces chicken wings
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 tablespoon honey
¾ cup soy sauce
½ cup cherry or Chinese cooking wine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup loose leaf tea
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut off the wings tips and reserve for another use. Halve the wings at joint then raise and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a food processor or blender, finely chop the garlic then add the ginger, honey, soy sauce, and wine. Process for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl then add the chicken wings. Toss to coat with the marinade then set aside in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Prepare the smokehouse: Get a heavy roasting pan or skillet with a tight-fitting cover. Line the bottom with aluminum foil. Sprinkle the brown sugar and tea leaves on the foil. Place a rack over it
- Drain the wings then arrange on the track. Cover the pan.
- Put the pan over high heat for 30 minutes. Do not uncover. After 30 minutes turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for another 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.